Monday, August 18, 2008

Learning to seam

Effective communication is a need. It is like temporarily seaming the thoughts of two minds together, where both people achieve a common understanding of each other's ideas. As human beings live in packs, it is an important skill for people to achieve their basic needs of life and also what they want.

How is effective communication important to the main aspects my life?

1. Work
We need to work and to gain money in order to fulfill our basic survival needs like food, stay, transport and clothings. Convincing resumes and interviews may land you in a job you prefer. Articulate speaking and active listening allow teams to accomplish their tasks in a shorter time without too many mistakes. Achieving the right balance between active socializing and silence may lessen the effects of office politics.

2. Relationships
According to a survey of 18,000 undergraduates in 39 countries, the most important factor in happiness is good interpersonal relations--with friends, family, lovers, etc (1). If the next thing we want to achieve in our life other than fulfilling survival needs is happiness, then this is it. People gather together to have fun together and to be loved. Even if we can't express our love directly, at least avoid creating more misunderstandings between our loved ones.

3. Learning
Of course, we learn throughout our life. In schools, to be able to catch key points during classes save us time from the need to revise textbooks or watch webcasts again. Group projects is a common assignment, where we are required to work with people we don't know. No one likes to be sarcastically teased for his/her own shortcomings, but would rather welcome a warm and encouraging advice.

Needing to survive, wanting happiness, I guess I just have to continue learning. *grin*

Reference
1. John Reich and Ed Diener. The Road to Happiness. Psychology Today. Jul/Aug 94. Last reviewed 30 Aug 2004. Accessed 22 Aug 2008. http://psychologytoday.com/articles/index.php?term=19940701-000025&page=1

7 comments:

YILIN said...

Hi Sea Ming

In my opinion,
1. You've covered this topic broadly, to what is really true. Every action has a cause. Mankind, especially in today's competitive environment, is practical. Hence, effective communication is a requirement to help attain the basic needs of life, shelter, food, money, love, satisfaction etc (like your further refined points).
2. Clear organisation of points which are, by the way, also very fitting to me!

Looking forward to more of your posts!

Best
Yilin

Sharon said...

I am impressed by your expression "temporarily seaming the thoughts of two minds together". This is a very powerful metaphor of bringing two disparate entities together in a fragile union with the concept of smooth unbroken flow of ideas between them upon fleeting fusion. It is also a good play of words with your own name! A very clever personal touch of humour and individuality!

However, while humans are social beings, perhaps you would like to describe our social organization as communities rather than packs? Suddenly I have the image of bloodthirsty wolves in mind... apologies, no offense intended...

Perhaps someone may do a survey to study just how often misunderstandings occur. I am of the opinion that they occur quite frequently. What do you think?

Your point about sarcasm/ criticism: could it be a cultural effect? Asians tend to be more critical or judgmental? Or is it an effect of individual personality?

Just expressing some random thoughts...

tom said...

hahaha! Love your blog name, hopefully thru you we can all seam our minds together!

Brad Blackstone said...

Sea Ming,

This is a impressive post, especially in the way that you have organized your ideas. (What is it about bullets points that floats people's boats?) Like your buddies, I appreciate the metaphor of seaming minds, too! Sharon's comments on this seem very apt. Finally, I approve of your bringing in info from outside resources. Applause for that!

What might be missing? Well, if you had just connected each one of your points to a personal anecdote. Then this would really address the topic fully.

I look forward to reading more of your posts!

XiaoTong said...

Very nice and clear way of presenting your ideas.

I do agree that it is not a very nice way to sarcastically tease others' shortcomings, especially to people who are not close. However, some people, who are really close friends and understand each other very well, use this as a form of encouragement or pushing force. Of course, a pat on the shoulder is needed when a nice job is done.

sea ming said...

Sharon:
You are sharp, I used the word "packs" precisely I was having wolves in my mind. Studies on misunderstanding is interesting.. I haven't come upon any of them yet, but if there is I would be happy to share. My point on sarcasms/critical was based on an individual basis. I have to admit I was randomly picking examples at that moment. =p

Brad:
Yes, I just realized that I appreciate personal anecdotes in articles. Thanks for your comments and ideas!

Yilin, Tom & Xiaotong:
Thanks for your comments and appreciating my blog title.

Danny Wong said...

Hi Seaming,

Nice blog title and nice blending your name into your blog posts. Applause!!!

Your views on the importance of effective communication on relationships attracts me because I do have a little something to share in response to this.

From time to time, I do encounter some relationship problem with my girlfriend and the most evident of all is when I am away during my SEP last year in New Zealand. Due to the long-distance relationship status that we are in for almost 3 years now (out of our 6 years relationship to date), we do have some period of communication breakdown and this have inevitably cause a major argument between the both of us.

One of the main reason is probably because I will not be able to see her physically (even though communication channels such as phone calls, sms, MSN and emails are still active) and express my love directly to her. I will not be able to help her when she have any problems too. Thus in this case, physical presence is very important in a relationship.

Even though I might be studying in NUS and she is in KL, the "physical barrier" between us is certainly not that great compared to when I am in New Zealand and she is in KL. At least I can rush to her side if any problem arise in 5 hours time via bus from Singapore to KL.

These are some personal experience that I have on relationship that I want to share. If anyone of you have any comments, do respond to it.

Cheers,
Danny.