Friday, September 26, 2008

(Half-)Packaged Tour














View from top of Dong Shan aka East Mountain














Beach at the east coast of Hai Nan


Intercultural scenarios are most experienced during traveling, when you are the “outsiders” of the foreign land. It is common that with the development of the tourism industry, many locals “exploit” this opportunity by selling their souvenirs at a much higher price, or swarming to tourists to promote their merchandise.


Our family went to Hai Nan Island for vacation few days ago. When we touch down Hai Kou (the capital city of Hai Nan), we booked a 2-day packaged tour at a local tourist agency. The package was supposedto cover all of our meals, transportation and entry tickets to scenic destinations. They even claimed that we did not have to prepare any more money during the tour.

But… it turned out to be absolutely not true.

At every destination we went, we had to pay additional money in order to get the full experience. If we refuse to pay and participate, they will become slightly unfriendly to us. For example, we have to pay for the cable car in Dong Shan Ling (The East Mountain), if not you need to climb all the way up to the mountain; for the VIP guest service at the Li ethnic village, which only then you can see their houses, eat their specialty food and take pictures with them, etc.

Our family felt cheated, as the things that had been promised were not given. One of them felt so disappointed and claimed to not go back to the country again.

For me, I believe there is a different level of emphasis on honesty between us. My Malaysian family believed that honesty was very important, while the tour agency obviously did not believe so. This may be their working culture, of which even all the consumers may already have been aware of that.

There is no right or wrong though, these are just differences in perspectives. When we say “Why can they be so dishonest?”, they can also do the same by asking, “Why can they be so naïve?”



P.S.: Hai Nan is not bad! Located at the same latitude as Hawaii, she has many HOT stuffs to offer, like the dead volcanoes where you can walk on them, the hot weather, the hot springs and the hot beaches!! Our Hainanese chicken rice is their Wen Chang chicken 文昌鸡, they looked and tasted a bit similar.

10 comments:

Sharon said...

From what you have described, I think that the local tourist agency is dishonest. It was supposed to be responsible for your experience there. It seems that you could have gone by yourselves and still have a comparable experience there!

So what did the local tour cover in the end?

tom said...

wow, that's really cunning of the tour agency. They are in a way forcing you to spend more to enjoy a better experience. I once had an experience like this as well.

I was in Phuket, Thailand. My girlfriend and I finish watching Simon Cabaret. We loved the show and at the end was a parade of the "showgirls". I was pulled by one of them to take a photo, afterwhich they demanded i pay them for the photo which my gf took using our own camera! I was shocked and I refused to pay but they didnt let go of my hand. So in the end I had to pay like S$10 for the photo...

Carolyn said...

After glancing through your description, I believe you could consult lawyers and take legal action against them if you want to claim for damages or to warn public about this travel agency.

When I went for shopping with 3 friends in Beijing, one of my friends took interest in trying a sports shoe. My friends wanted to bargain with salesgirl after trying on the shoe. But it was unsuccessful as the price offered was not within my friend's budget. As my friend intend to walk away, the salesgirl pulled his sleeves to prevent him from doing so. My Beijing friend immediately called police. Fearing that police maybe involved, they decided to let us go.

Brad Blackstone said...

Interesting! Do you mean to say that you went during this recess week? Lucky you!

You bring up an interesting point when you introduce the idea of honesty being relative, what a social scientist might call "moral relativism." Do you think that such relativism might be at the root of the current Chinese milk-product scandal? What I mean is this: if honesty can be bent to suit one's needs, then might that "encourage" a culture of deceit in all business dealings?

I've often been distressed by having to pay the "mat salleh" price when in Malaysia. Do you see a similarity in your experience and my own?

XiaoTong said...

Wow..looks like your family didn't really enjoyed the trip there. I guess it may be because it is a local tour agency, that is why they are so bold to do such a thing. After all, most tourists would want less trouble when they are overseas and would not kick a big fuss out of it.

Legal actions as said by Carolyn, would not be very feasible as we are not familiar with their law. I guess maybe you can try getting tour packages in Singapore before going overseas, instead of getting at the local, as your rights will be protected.

sea ming said...

Dear Sharon:
The local tour did covered our food, transport and hotel expenses. It is just that we have to pay something extra in most tourist spots and the food is not so good =p

Dear Tom:
Ah! You know what? Our tour guide in Hainan warn us not to simply touch the "showgirls" after their performace in San Ya, they will ask us to pay. Now I really understand how you feel.

Dear Carolyn:
I do think if we consult police at that moment, we may still not be helped, as we did not have much time in Hainan and we are not familiar with the big picture of the area. But, maybe having a local friend may help? *grin*

Dear Brad:
I do think that this "moral relativism" is one of the roots for the milk scandal. As their emphasis on the wholesomeness of their product is not as much as making profits. Weili has made a very detailed description in his blog on the milk scandal and its background. When everybody is putting money ahead of everything, this behaviour becomes a culture.

Now that you raised the issue about "mat salleh" price, I start to feel sorry about that! That's not good either, even if it is my own people who is profiting.

Dear Xiaotong:
Fortunately for my family complained a little, after a while they let go and we all had fun. You made a good point, it is more secured to book a packaged tour from our hown country instead.

Danny Wong said...

Dear Seaming,

Firstly, thanks for commenting on my blog. It is now my turn to comment on your blog instead.

First of all, I am sorry to hear about the "half-packaged tour" that you have received in Hainan. But the fact that you can go for a short-trip to Hainan really make me envious of you!

It is obvious that the tour agency was dishonest in their dealings with customers. I would guess that this has been usual "practises".

Thanks for highlighting this problem in your blog. I guess it will be batter to get the full tour package from Singapore before setting off to Hainan, as what is mentioned by Xiaotong.

Cheers.

Baoqing said...

Hey Seaming,
First i feel really sorry for what you and your family have encountered. Dont take it as a universal culture for all Chinese people. Most,fi not all, Chinese people are very kind and nice to foreigners and guests. Remember that they are businessmen.
As i read through when i was editing your post, i recalled many similar cases when i was traveling. It was at first very annoying, for me and for foreigners. But i as encountered more and more, i started to calm down and took actions to prevent these things happening. i guess that's what most people will do and have already been doing. maybe that's how this culture is cultivated,since it is defined as the learned behavior patterns.

sea ming said...

Danny:
Thanks for stopping by! I have to say, the overall feeling of the trip is good, as I spent some time with my family in the overseas.

Baoqing:
Sorry if I made comments that are too harsh! Don't worry, I know that not all Chinese are like that. I have one close girl friend who is from Beijing. And now I have one more friend, that is you! ;)

YILIN said...

Dear Seaming

I think you've illustrated very well one of the possible causes for intercultural miscommunications - largely attributed to the different cultural backgrounds, way of life across countries. In your case, it seems that their way of work and their principles are definitely different from what we would expect. Having said that, perhaps we should be less skeptical about the country as a whole, maybe it's only that ONE agency that works this way? It would definitely be unfair to generalise and say that all people practise such a way of life in their country, no?