Saturday, November 8, 2008

Ending credits


I can imagine that few months later after I graduate from NUS, there will be three things that I will remember from this module: the experience with the people, the exercises in professional writing and the importance of intercultural understanding.

This is the module in which I have experienced the most interactions with the lecturer and the classmates. This came out under the wonderful guidance of our lecturer, Brad. He is willing to connect with everyone in the class and even ‘match-makes’ us so that we interact with all of our classmates. Furthermore, our classmates are friendly and out-spoken. Not to forget my fun and creative group mates, Xiao Tong and Bao Qing, whom we formed a kind of rapport through all the discussions and imaginative jokes.

After doing so much writing over and over again, I become immune to the boredness of writing. Frankly speaking, I found writing to be quite boring when I first started writing the blog posts. In the end, I am not so afraid of writing anymore and went beyond. I tend to check my writing with the 7 C's whenever I write. Perhaps, that is we repeated the writing exercises over and over and over again. Practice makes perfect.

Brad has demonstrated and challenged us to see things in a different perspective. He reminded us that the different cultures in the world are just different, and that no culture is superior to another. We have to be more sensitive and be more open-minded to understand other cultures. This mindset is extremely important in Singapore, as we have people of different nationalities and different ethnicities constantly interacting with each other.

In short, I have learnt what I wanted to learn in the module. And I have to thank Brad, my group mates and all my class mates for making the learning process so fun and meaningful. Thank you everyone!

8 comments:

Travis Neo said...

It's so sad reading all the blogs of you guys knowing that this is the end!

Yeah man, we should all thank Brad for "matchmaking" us such that we know everyone in class.

This is the ONLY module in which I have done such a thing and can name everyone in the class.

Sharon said...

Thankfully this is not the only module in which I know everyone's names. But I wish there were more of such small classes for closer interactions among students.

Unfortunately, I am not entirely immune to the "boredness of writing" and I tend to wait until the last minute to start writing. Another problem is "what to write?". Luckily I'm not in Arts! I doubt I can survive the volume of reading and writing for long!

M. said...

Hi Seaming!
Travis is right, I think this is the only module where by I know all my classmates name. It is really nice to have the chance to work with(almost)all your classmates. (:

sea ming said...

Thank you Travis, Sharon and Michelle for stopping by!

Sad? It is alright, we can upgrade our communication process to facebook. Now I can see that Travis is actually quite sentimental! I will miss you guys!

Sharon I think you can write well =) Closer interactions within our class? Like bringing some small food so that we can snack after class on Thursday, as our 'farewell' class?

Michelle, I do agree with you that we worked with almost all our classmates. Which means it will be great if I can still interact with ALL of them =) Anyway, I am already grateful.

Danny Wong said...

Hey Seaming,

I guess Brad have made the class super fun, engaging and exciting. This is one of the class where I am looking forward to every week of the semester.

The end have to come but our friendship have just began. I hope that all of us will keep in touch together.

I think we should create a facebook group for our class.

I am not sure if we have time for snacks on Thursday. But I am definitely bringing my camera to take pictures with all of you.

I will send all the pictures that I have taken of the group at the end of the day.

Good luck in your future endeavours.

Cheers,
Danny.

YILIN said...

I have to agree that this is one module which facilitates learning not just through the guidance of an educator (that would be our mentor Brad) but also through peer sharing and interaction! And the result? Effective and fun-filled, in my opinion.

Brad Blackstone said...

Thank you for this insightful, and congratulatory final post, Sea Ming!

And congratulations on your graduation!

I think it all came together for you during this last term. I'm glad those of us in this class could share your NUD finale with you!

Best wishes for an great future! (And do look us up in KL!)

Brad Blackstone said...

NUS lol!